How Much Will It Cost to Change Your Name?
In order to make an informed decision, you need to know how much to budget for your name changes.
- Marriage License – You will need several certified copies of your marriage license to supply to other agencies to enable the name change process. Marriage license fees typically cost around $100, plus the costs for each certified copy.
- Birth Certificate – You will need to submit a certified copy of your marriage license with the application to your county’s register’s office. There can be a “processing fee” charged to update the name, and it will vary, so budget around $100, to be safe.
- Driver’s License – You will need to make a trip to the DMV and bring along a certified copy of your marriage license. The costs vary but are never more than $50.
- Social Security Card – All you need to do is fill out an application and provide the proper documentation to get a new social security card. If you do it directly through the Social Security Administration, there is no cost.
- Passport – Name changes can cost just as much as renewing or getting a passport, so you should budget $150. The only exception is if it has been issued within the last year; then there is no cost to get a new passport issued unless you want to pay for expedited processing.
- Bank/Credit Union Accounts
- Credit Cards
- Auto-Pay Accounts
- Social Media Accounts
- Email Addresses
- Rewards Programs
As you can see, changing your name is an involved and time-consuming process. If you do decide to change your name, after everything has been updated to your married name, it is a good idea to get a new copy of your birth certificate, which you can order online from FastBirthCertificates.com, or leave us a message at (415) 549-8691 if you have further questions.